Following business enquiries regarding Payroll Tax, in response to our enquiries through the Queensland Treasury we have been advised the following:
- The Commissioners of all State and Territory Revenue Offices signified their commitment to establishing and maintaining consistency in the administration of payroll tax on 11 July 2008.
- A Protocol for Payroll Tax Harmonisation between jurisdictions, to achieve greater legislative and administrative harmonisation, was signed on 28 July 2010 by state and territory treasurers and was endorsed by COAG: A Protocol for Payroll Tax Harmonisation between Jurisdictions (act.gov.au)
- The Payroll Tax Harmonisation Committee was established in December 2008 to implement arrangements for harmonised administration. Since 2012, the work of this committee is undertaken by the Tax Law Committee.
- All jurisdictions have taken steps to enact legislation aligning provision in eight key areas agree to by State and Territory Treasurers
- QLD amended their existing legislation, introducing aligned provision in key areas, to establish harmonisation with those jurisdictions.
- Due to these changes, tax harmonisation is now a policy matter for the Federal Treasury, and they can be contacted at https://treasury.gov.au/the-department/contact-us or alternatively you could contact your Federal Member of Parliament, Llew O’Brien on 07 4121 2936 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Another avenue you could consider approaching are the appropriate committees below:
House Standing Committee on Economics
PO Box 6021
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: (02) 6277 4587
Fax: (02) 6277 4774
Senate Standing Committee on Economics
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6277 3540
Fax: +61 2 6277 5719