Extended lockdowns, COVID-19 restrictions, and the impacts of, have brought some intense reactions within our community. The lockdowns themselves are devastating in multiple ways to our small businesses and staff, as well to individuals, and our mental wellbeing is an often-overlooked consequence to this duress. Consequently, we have compiled some resources that our community may find of benefit now and in the coming months.
- NEWACCESS FOR SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS- A free and confidential mental health coaching program, developed by Beyond Blue to give small business owners (with 20 employees or less), including sole traders the support they need. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/newaccess/newaccess-for-small-business-owners
- SMALL BUSINESS OWNER’S GUIDE TO MENTAL HEALTH- A template is provided by the Queensland Mental Health Commission https://www.qmhc.qld.gov.au/about/publications/browse/brochures-posters-other-resources/small-business-owners-guide-to-mental-health-mental-health-plan-template
- WORKERS’ PSYCHOLOGICAL SUPPORT SERVICE- This independent, confidential and free service helps Queenslanders experiencing a work-related psychological injury, including regarding COVID-19, to connect with the right community services. https://wpss.org.au/
- MENTAL HEALTH ACCESS LINE- 1300 MH CALL (1300 642255) is a confidential mental health telephone triage service that provides the first point of contact to public mental health services to Queenslanders. https://www.qld.gov.au/health/mental-health/help-lines/1300-mh-call
- BEYONG BLUE- You can call 1300 224 636 for 24/7 for advice, referral and support from a trained mental health professional https://www.beyondblue.org.au/
In addition, below is a list of mental health apps. Whilst many are government funded, it is important to remember that these resources are a guide only and are run separately from QLD Health.
- Mindgauge– Mindgauge is an app that allows the user to easily and quickly measure and track their mental health, mood, and lifestyle so they can move towards being healthier and happier
- MoodMission– MoodMission is an app based on cognitive behavioural therapy designed to help individuals overcome low moods and anxiety by discovering new and better ways of coping.
- MoodPrism– MoodPrism is an app that helps individuals learn about their mood by transforming daily mood reports into a summary of their emotional health.
- PTSD Coach Australia– The PTSD Coach Australia app can help people to learn about and manage symptoms that commonly occur after trauma.
To finish, the importance of taking the time to breath cannot be understated. It is considered a key element to health and wellbeing. A list of helpful documents on breathing exercises can be found below.
- Metro North Health Services- https://metronorth.health.qld.gov.au/rbwh/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/06/cancer-relaxation-breathing.pdf
- University of the Sunshine Coast- Thompson Institute- https://www.sandybolton.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Mindful-Breathing.pdf
- Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI)- https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/~/media/CCI/Mental-Health-Professionals/Anxiety/Anxiety—Information-Sheets/Anxiety-Information-Sheet—08—Breathing-Retraining.pdf
We are living in unprecedented times, and it has never been more important to look after our mental wellbeing as we do with our physical health. As always, if you have any questions regarding the assistance available please contact the office via email@example.com or by calling 5319 3100.