QUESTION . The humane treatment of all creatures great and small, including us, should be paramount. As an MP, mother, daughter, grandmother – every day I am horrified as to what we do to each other, and to those in our care. In response the @ABC report and footage, I have obtained the following below from the Department.
1. Minister Furner has ordered an immediate investigation by Biosecurity Queensland into the allegations relating to a facility in Caboolture north of Brisbane
2. We are taking this report very seriously and will be investigating the incident under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001
3. The Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 provides a high level of protection for all animals. Acts of cruelty or the mistreatment of animals will not be tolerated.
4. Queensland has the toughest animal welfare laws in the country and anyone found breaching them could face a jail term of up to seven years.
5. As this matter is subject of an ongoing investigation, the Government is unable to comment on the specifics of this case.
6. Queensland already recognised that there were issues for thoroughbred horses in regards to life after racing. Minister Hinchliffe had organised a forum to be held on 15 November 2019 and had invited industry stakeholders, including Racing Queensland and the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission. Minister Hinchliffe has now brought this forum forward to next week – details are still to be finalised.
As you know, I question the world we live in, and the role we all play in creating this environment. No-one, whether 2 or 4 legged, or otherwise, should be subjected at their end of life to a lack of care and compassion, dignity, and a focus on what is ethical and right.
Thank you to Minster Furner and Minister Hinchliffe for fast tracking this investigation, may we address this inhumanity, and never see again this appalling disrespect for any life, in any realm. #bethechange #itsuptous #responsibilty