FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT 23/02/20
- Pubs, licensed clubs and hotels (excluding accommodation), places of worship, gyms, indoor sporting venues, cinemas, casinos to close from midday Monday, March 23. Restaurants and cafes to offer takeaway only. Schools and supermarkets can remain open. Read more.
- To help stop the spread of coronavirus, stay 1.5 metres away from others where possible, wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, avoid touching your face and if sick, stay home. Read more.
- Non-essential mass gatherings are banned for groups of more than 500 people outdoors, or more than 100 indoors. Read more.
- There are restrictions on visitors to Residential Aged Care Facilities to protect older Australians. Please check with individual facilities for further information.
- From 9pm AEDT 20 March 2020, our borders are closed except for Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members. All arrivals into Australia are required to self-isolate for 14 days, either at home or in a hotel. Read more.
- A second set of economic responses has been announced, bringing the total package to $189 billion to support workers, businesses and broader community in response to the Coronavirus. Read more.
INCOME SUPPORT FOR INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSEHOLDS
The Job Seeker allowance will be available for eligible workers who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19, including permanent workers, sole traders, casual employees, self-employed and contract workers. Assistance will include:
- A Coronavirus supplement of $550 per fortnight on top of the usual JobSeeker allowance and will be available for 6 months
- The one week waiting time has been waived
- Applicants are encouraged to apply online or over the phone
- From April will allow new applicants to verify their identity over the phone
- Payment will commence from 27 April 2020
- Payments to support eligible households include two separate $750 payments
- Temporary early release of superannuation
- For more information on the above plus superannuation and social security deeming rates, please go to: https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/households
SMALL BUSINESS SUPPORT
A summary of business assistance currently available is below:
- Qld government $27.25 million Immediate Industry Recovery Package which includes payroll tax return deferral and Support for Tourism operation and Hospitality Providers. https://www.qld.gov.au/about/industry-recovery
- Qld Rural and Industry Development Authority will be offering concessional loans up to $250,000 to businesses to retain staff. http://www.qrida.qld.gov.au/current-programs/covid-19-business-support/queensland-covid19-jobs-support-scheme
- Small Business Support – https://www.business.qld.gov.au/starting-business/advice-support/support/novel-coronavirus
- Federal government $189 billion stimulus package includes: https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus
- Increasing the Instant Assets Write-Off; Backing Business Investment; Boosting cash flow for employers; Supporting apprentices and trainees; and Assistance for affected regions, communities and industries. https://www.business.gov.au/risk-management/emergency-management/coronavirus-information-and-support-for-business
- Support for Sole Traders – https://www.business.gov.au/risk-management/emergency-management/coronavirus-information-and-support-for-business/what-support-is-available-to-your-business
- Support for Businesses – https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/businesses
- Supporting the Flow of Credit – https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/business-investment
All travellers to Australia are required to self-isolate for 14 days. For the latest information please head to https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers or if you are feeling unwell, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ADVICE
Smart Traveller: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19-australian-travellers
STATE TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS
Many States have chosen to close their borders for all non-essential travel, including Western Australia, South Australia, ACT and Northern Territory, please check their website for the most up to date information:
Northern Territory: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/
A number of businesses are advising of lengthened wait times including Telstra, who will be posting updates as available via https://exchange.telstra.com.au/coronavirus/
GENERAL HEALTH ADVICE
Please stay up to date via the Qld Health website www.health.qld.gov.au/coronavirus or contact 13 HEALTH (13 432584) for the most recent advice, and be mindful of Facebook shares from unknown sources.
AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS – 1800 733 276
LIFELINE – 13 11 14
THE SALVATION ARMY – 13 72 58
ST VINCENT DE PAUL – 1800 846 643 – Vinnies are not accepting material donation of clothes or household goods for the time being.
ECQ – Electoral Commission Queensland – 1300 881 665
QLD HEALTH – 13 43 25 84
CENTRELINK – 132 850